It can be difficult to choose between Shopify and WooCommerce. To find out which platform is better suited for your company's needs, read our comparison of WooCommerce and Shopify.
It can be challenging to select an eCommerce platform for your company. Both platforms have advantages over one another as well as disadvantages. Depending on the features and functions you want to include on your website, one can be preferable to the other.
25% of eCommerce websites are produced with WooCommerce, while 19% are made with Shopify, according to the most recent built With research.
To help you choose which platform is better for you, in this article we will compare WooCommerce and Shopify based on various aspects like usability, design flexibility, and user experience.
A comparison of WooCommerce and Shopify
Shopify vs. WooCommerce: Major Differences
1. Easy of Usage
WooCommerce is a little more complicated and could be challenging to understand. There is a big learning curve with this platform. Nonetheless, WooCommerce offers comprehensive documentation that can help you better understand the system and get going.
In order to get started with WooCommerce, you must first install WordPress, register a domain name with WordPress, configure hosting, and enable the WooCommerce plugins. Therefore, you can see that using WooCommerce requires a lengthy effort just to get started.
Shopify is simpler to use than WooCommerce in comparison. Hosting costs, security patches, and software updates are not a concern. Also, Shopify features a straight forward user interface with distinct division labels.
The site provides in-depth blogs as tutorials, which can help you further simplify things. Even while Shopify is simple to use, it could still take some time for you to become totally accustomed to the system.
Best Platform for Ease of Use, in Our Opinion: Shopify
2. Flexible Design
WooCommerce allows you total control over the appearance of your website. The platform also offers a huge selection of themes that are-simply installed from Theme forest, a third-party provider. More than 13,000 themes are available on Theme forest for use by different eCommerce enterprises.
More code adjustments can be made to these themes to complement your brand identification and offer your website a distinctive appearance. WooCommerce offers designs that are responsive to mobile devices.
Shopify also provides a large selection of themes, both free and premium, that may be utilised to create a visually appealing website. You can also modify the themes on the platform by using code.
Also, when comparing the themes given by both platforms, Shopify's design is far more enticing and sophisticated than the designs offered by WooCommerce. Nevertheless, compared to WooCommerce, the platform does not provide as many customisation choices.
Thus, WooCommerce is the way to go if you want a platform with more customisation choices, but Shopify would be preferable if you want themes with better visual appeal.
The best design flexibility, in our opinion: WooCommerce
3. Customer User Experience
Customers can have a fantastic user experience with WooCommerce. The platform offers a variety of tools and plugins that may be used to build a website that is user-friendly, like product filters, user-customisable products, sizing guides for online clothes businesses, etc.
Additionally, WooCommerce is always enhancing its features to give users an even better experience.
Customers can enjoy a positive user experience using Shopify. It features a sizeable app store where you can access a variety of programs to let you display product reviews, provide email customer care, provide purchase order protection, etc., which can further enhance the user experience on your website.
Because of its lightweight designs, Shopify provides a far better user experience than WooCommerce. Several of the WooCommerce themes are also not very responsive.
The best user experience, in our opinion: Shopify
One of the key components of any eCommerce platform is scalability. You will require a platform that is simple to scale as your organisation expands.
When using WooCommerce, you must decide on a hosting provider. This implies that the hosting provider you pick will have an impact on your scalability. Some WooCommerce hosting companies, like Cloud ways, offer all the resources required to support your growth.
Also, WooCommerce enables you to use WordPress hosting companies like Site Ground and WP Engine, which can help you increase the productivity of your company. With WooCommerce, however, you will be in charge of handling technical matters like keeping updates and backups.
Compared to WooCommerce, Shopify provides a much easier scalability solution. The platform handles all of your website's technological complexities. This covers tasks like keeping up with updates, outages, and backups.
You may scale your website with the help of several tools and plugins available in Shopify. It is also supported by a solid infrastructure that is capable of handling heavy traffic.
The finest scalability solution, in our opinion: Shopify
5. Managing Inventory
With WooCommerce, managing your inventory is a breeze thanks to the large number of customisation options it provides. You may control stock levels,keep track of your inventory, and set up notifications for low stock levels using the platform.
Moreover, Shopify provides a number of options that let you fully control your inventory management. It lets you monitor stock levels, track products, and create notifications, just like WooCommerce. You can generate reports and automate purchase orders with Shopify.
The platform with the best inventory control, in our opinion: Shopify
There are no dropshipping-specific built-in capabilities in WooCommerce. To buildup a WooCommerce dropshipping store, you can use a variety of plugins and extensions.
Top WooCommerce dropshipping plugins include:
- AliDropship: This plugin lets you sell with suppliers from AliExpress and offers a variety of options. For products that are drop shipped, pricing and inventory adjustments are simple. Additionally, it automates order fulfilment and alerts on order status.
- WP Amazon Shop:This plug-in handles all aspects of shipping and delivery. You may also get products from Amazon and sell them on your WooCommerce store using this tool.
- Dropship Me: This plug-in gives you access to a list of some of the top drop ship vendors who can meet all of your shipping needs and deliver a first-rate shopping experience.
On the other side, Shopify provides a marketplace for apps where you may find a variety of dropshipping partners. The programs make starting a dropshipping business very simple.
Top Shopify dropshipping apps include:
- Oberlo: With only a few clicks, you may find products, add them to your store, and process orders. Oberlo automates order fulfilment as well as alerting you to the progress of your orders.
- With Spocket: you can locate goods from US and EU sources. Several more capabilities are also available, including real-time tracking, automatic currency conversion, and automated order fulfilment.
- Printify: is a print-on-demand application that enables you to make personalised goods and sell them on your Shopify store. Direct shipping of goods to your consumers is automated by the program.
We recommend the following platform for better dropshipping: It is a draw!
7. Enhancements and Integrations
WooCommerce offers several different add-ons. There are more than 58,000 plugins available that can give your eCommerce website more functionality of these 58,000 plugins, 592 extensions are made especially for eCommerce companies.
Moreover, Shopify offers a large variety of add-ons and connectors. Through its app store, Shopify offers more than 5000 add-ons. Also, there are a lot of paid Shopify apps created by other developers.
- Shopify Smile Loyalty & Rewards: As the name implies, you can use this plugin to build a loyalty and rewards program for your consumers, which may lead to more repeat business.
- Shopify Quick View: With this add-on, consumers can quickly browse product details without leaving the current page and add items to their carts with just one click, improving the customer experience and saving time.
- Shopify Flow: With just three clicks, you can automate every repetitive action in your workflow.
Both WooCommerce and Shopify offer a large selection of integrations and add-ons. In contrast to Shopify, WooCommerce has more plugins accessible, giving it a modest advantage.
The platform with the best add-ons and integrations, in our opinion: Shopify
8. Blogging Tools
WooCommerce excels in blogging because it inherits all blogging functionality from its parent platform, WordPress, the most widely used content management system (CMS) in the world with a market share of 60.8%.
The platform includes excellent blogging tools and features that aid in managing media, users, publishing, etc. WordPress makes it simple to add blog articles, pictures, videos, and other types of material to your WooCommerce website. Sharing your content on social media networks is also quite simple.
Moreover, Shopify has functional blogging options.Adding blog entries, pictures, and videos to your Shopify store is simple. Your blogs' themes can also be readily modified to reflect your brand. Even if Shopify provides all the functionality required for blogging, WooCommerce has more possibilities.
The platform with the best blogging features, in our opinion: Shopify
9. Smartphone application
You can manage your store while on the go, thanks to the WooCommerce mobile application. On iOS and Android devices, the app is accessible without any additional fees. You can add products, monitor the success of your business, and more using the WooCommerce app.
- Order management: With the app, you can see, modify, and complete orders from your WooCommerce store.
- Analytics: The app provides crucial real-time information into the success of your store so that you can decide on your company's future actions whenever and wherever you choose.
- Switch between stores: If you use WooCommerce to run multiple stores, the app will make it simple for you to transition between them.
The mobile WooCommerce app functions similarly to the mobile Shopify app. You can create and maintain your online store using its platforms while using a mobile device.
- One Dashboard: You can handle orders, shipping, and payments with the Shopify app's single dashboard.
- Process Orders: You can quickly and conveniently process customer orders using the Shopify app.
- Push Notifications: For sales, orders, and user activity, the app offers push alerts.
Users of WooCommerce and Shopify may manage their stores while on the go thanks to their mobile applications. There is no apparent winner in this scenario, though, as both platforms provide comparable capabilities in their mobile apps.
Our recommendation for the platform with the best mobile apps is: It is a draw!
10. Pay-through Gateways
WooCommerce provides add-ons for the majority of the widely used payment gateways. Among of the well-known WooCommerce payment processors are PayPal, Stripe, Apple Pay, Amazon Pay, and others. Moreover, less well-known payment methods are supported on the site.
Moreover, Shopify provides a variety of payment gateway choices, including PayPal, Stripe, CC Avenue, Cash free, and others. WooCommerce and Shopify both provide a large selection of payment gateway choices. The only distinction is that transaction fees are levied by Shopify. WoocCommerce, in contrast, levies no transaction fees.
WooCommerce is therefore a far better choice if you sell things in huge quantities.
Shopify earns the title of finest payment gateway in our opinion
11. SEO Efficiency
With WooCommerce, you can easily add title tags, meta descriptions, and other SEO-friendly elements to your product pages since WordPress is known for being SEO-friendly.
By incorporating Google Analytics, you can assess the effectiveness of your SEO campaign.
- Site verification: This feature enables you to validate your website with search engines like Google, Bing, Pinterest, etc. So, that customers may find your store quickly.
- Sitemap: WordPress creates a sitemap for your store automatically, which might make it easier for search engine crawlers to index your pages.
- WordPress offers clean URLs : for your pages, which might once more raise your search engine rankings.
Also, Shopify is an SEO-friendly platform with tools like clean URLs, automatic sitemap generation and Google Analytics integration. To further boost your store's position on search engines, Shopify also lets you edit your title tags, meta descriptions, etc.
Some of the top SEO functions available on this platform include the following:
- Mobile-friendly:Since Google priorities mobile-friendly websites, Shopify's themes are automatically optimised for mobile usage.
- Site loading time: Shopify is a speedy and lightweight platform that can quicken your store's loading time. A faster loading store may improve the SEO performance of your website.
- SEO Booster: The tools inform you of any issues that are impeding the ranking of your website.
Shopify & WooCommerce both have strong SEO features. WooCommerce, on the other hand, has an advantage over Shopify when it comes to SEO since it is a WordPress plugin.
For the finest SEO abilities, we recommend: Shopify
12. Customer Service
WooCommerce does not provide telephone or email-based customer support. The platform instead uses extensive documentation and FAQ sections to address user questions.
WooCommerce meanwhile, has just taking inquiries through its live chat bot, although it is only accessible to users who have purchased the Woo Theme plugin.
Unlike WooCommerce, Shopify offers live chat and email customer service around 24*7. It also does not provide phone help, though. Also,Shopify has a form where you can ask questions and receive responses from other users who have dealt with related problems.
So, it is clear that Shopify's live chat and 24*7 email support make getting in touch with them much simpler than with WooCommerce.
Best customer service, in our opinion: Shopify
Installing WooCommerce with WordPress is cost-free. For their additional services, including hosting, extensions, and domain names, you will have to pay. Unlike most eCommerce platforms, there are no set plans on this platform.
So, the cost will very depending on the hosting service you select or the extensions you desire while creating your website.
Compared to WooCommerce, Shopify's pricing is significantly simpler. There are three distinct plans, with monthly prices ranging from $29 to $299.
You will be able to make use of more platform features if you upgrade to the advanced plan. Also,Shopify offers a 14-day free trial, so you are not required to make any decisions right away.
Compared to WooCommerce extensions, Shopify's add-ons and applications are more expensive. Hence,WooCommerce provides a better value for the money, in our opinion.
Our assessment of the best pricing is as follows: Shopify
Sadly, there is no clear winner in the WooCommerce vs. Shopify argument. Depending on the needs you have specifically.
A platform called Typof makes it possible for you to launch an online store in just 30 seconds. You can easily create a mobile application for your online store with Typof, and you also have access to a number of business tools.
You can check more alternatives of Shopify here